Foreign Students Office

Where is Hemvati Nandan Bahuguna Garhwal (Central) University located and how do I reach the University headquarters?

Hemvati Nandan Bahuguna Garhwal University (A Central UIniversity), hereinafter referred to as HNBGU, is nestled in the lap of Himalayan ranges in the Garhwal region of Uttarakhand. The detail information is available on its website

Why to select as HNBGU as study destination in India?

The University is located in the pristine Himalayan ranges offering salubrious climate ideal for pursuing higher studies. The University holds NAAC ‘A’ accreditation and has several upcoming and traditional courses/programmes to offer to the foreign students. Apart from offering a multi-cultural and inter-disciplinary learning environment, one of the key motivations for studying at HNBGU is the low cost of living and a favourable
educational atmosphere.

Who is a ‘Foreign National’?

A candidate is considered as a “Foreign National” who

  • Holds a passport/Citizenship of a country other than India.
  • Has an OCI/PIO card and also holds a Passport of a country other than India.
  • An applicant having an OCI card and studying throughout in India will be considered as a “Foreign National”.
  • Non-Resident Indian (NRI)/Indian Citizen whose qualifying examination is from an International Board/Foreign University will NOT BE CONSIDERED as Foreign National.
How can a Foreign National applicant get admission to any course/programme in HNBGU?

The detailed information regarding the admission of foreign nationals at HNBGU is accessible on homepage of the Foreign Students’ Office (FSO) at the website of HNBGU which can be accessed at Interested applicants shall apply through the online application form available at There is no off-line application form. Please refer to the Guidelines available on the website for details. The applicant has to complete the online admission form and submit the hardcopy of the same after due attestation.

What are the programmes offered to Foreign Nationals in HNBGU?

The list of programmes at UG, PG, M.Phil, Ph.D. and Diploma level is provided on the homepage of FSO. Please check on website for the list of programmes offered.

Is there any requirement of qualifying the English Proficiency Tests like Academic IELTS/ TOEFL etc. for getting admission in the undergraduate (UG) course?

Yes, it is required for all foreign nationals. In the case of candidates applying on Indian Council for Cultural Relations (ICCR) Scholarships, the English proficiency score awarded and reported by the Council shall be considered as equivalent to IELTS score.
The essential requirement of passing the English proficiency test is exempted for the foreign applicants from SAARC Countries. Further, the candidates (from any foreign country) having completed their qualifying degree/higher degree from India or a foreign centre of Indian University/Board shall be exempted from the requirement of English Proficiency.
The English proficiency documents needs to be submitted along with the Admission Form and other supporting documents.

Do I require an English Proficiency Tests like Academic IELTS/ TOEFL etc. if I have done my undergraduate courses in India and my medium of instruction has been English?

Applicants who have studied from Indian University at the undergraduate level having English as medium of instruction, are exempted from IELTS/ TOEFL.

What are the documents required at the time of registration?

Following are the certificates and documents required to be submitted by the candidates along with application form for admission to various programmes of study:

  • Filled-in Application Form (Online only) 
  • Proof of Date of Birth. 
  • Transcripts/Marksheets and degree/Certificate of the qualifying examination issued by the Board/University. In cases, where the University has prescribed a condition of passing a subject or subjects at some level, the Certificate/Mark sheet of the concerned examination in proof thereof should also be produced (original and one photocopy of certificates are required). 
  • Valid Certificate of TOEFL/IELTS 
  • All the relevant information/documents, which may justify the equivalence of their qualifications from the concerned competent authority – Association of Indian University (AIU)*. 
  • Transcripts/Mark-sheets/Degrees in a language other than English should be got translated into English language and candidates should attach a duly attested copy of the same, failing which their candidature shall not be considered.
  • Conduct and Character Certificate from the Head of the Institution from where the qualifying examination has been passed or from concerned Embassy.
Do I require certificate from Association of Indian Universities (AIU)?

The course on which eligibility is relied upon must be included in the list of the Association of Indian Universities (AIU). Submission of Equivalence Certificate from AIU is mandatory for foreign nationals. The AIU address is given below:

The Secretary General
Association of Indian Universities
AIU House, 16, Comrade Indrajit Gupta Marg
New Delhi-110002
Phone No. (91) – 11-23230059; (91) – 11-23232429 Fax No. (91) – 11-23232131

What is the last date for the submission of online Application for admission at HNBGU?

Application complete in all respects should be submitted online along with the scanned copy of required documents. The detailed information regarding the admission of foreign nationals at HNBGU is available on the website

What type of Medical Insurance is required to be produced at the time of admission?

It is mandatory for all foreign nationals to possess medical insurance policy with evacuation clause for the period of their study and stay in the HNBGU. Tibetan candidates and Overseas Citizens of India (OCI card holders)/PIO cardholders will have to furnish only medical insurance. A simple insurance without an evacuation clause will be enough for these applicants.

What is the ‘Evacuation Clause’ in the medical insurance?

An evacuation clause enables a student to claim reimbursement for his/her evacuation from the country, where he/she is studying, in case he/she has to be sent back to his/her country due to medical reasons.

Do I require some sort of approval document from the Indian embassy in my country if I have an OCI card?

The candidate has to obtain a “No Objection Certificate” from their Country’s Embassy in India.

How much tuition fee is payable by a foreign national student?

The details of fee payable by foreign students at HNBGU is available on the website The fee is to be paid in Equivalent Indian Rupees (INR) through online mode of money transfer. No cash is taken in admission process. Students sponsored by the Indian Council for Cultural Relations (ICCR) or another authorised sponsoring agency will pay the same fees as those awarded to them by the ICCR or the agency. Students from SAARC countries and Tibetan nationals pay the course fees same as Indian students. This fee does not include accommodation costs.

Whether foreign national students will be provided hostel accommodation?

Providing hostel facilities to students both boys and girls has been a priority of the University. The University is making all efforts to construct new hostels to meet the growing demand of students from outside for the facility and thus a tremendous progress has been made in this direction. Apart from that, rented accommodations, paying guest with catering and self-catering services are available.

What is the period of semesters and vacations?

The details of Semesters and vacations are provided in the academic calendar approved by the university for each academic year. For reference, Academic Calendar for Under-Graduate and Post-Graduate courses is available at the university website

Am I required to register with any office other than FSO after arrival in India? If so, what is the time duration?

Upon arrival in India every foreign candidate must be registered with the Police, FRRO within 07 days from the date of first entry into India. The FRRO can impose heavy fines if this registration is delayed or not done.

Do I need to get any medical fitness tests done?

The following medical fitness tests also need to be performed on all the international candidates applying for admission at the university

  • HIV Test
  • Chest Check-up (through X-Ray) 
  • Hepatitis surface Antigen (HBsAg) before admission 
  • COVID Test
I don’t have my passport at present. Can I apply online for admission?

Passport is a mandatory document required at the time of online application. However, if the process of obtaining passport is underway, you may apply now. In this case you need to upload the receipt of your application for obtaining passport while applying online. In this case, your admission will be subject to the production of original passport at the time of admission.

I am presently studying at one of the Indian universities in India. Do I need to provide migration certificate and recommendation letter from my current university?

You will be required to submit the migration certificate from the present university in India at the time of admission in HNBGU.

Can I apply in multiple programmes/courses in an online form?

No, you may only register for one program/course of interest using a single online registration form. You can, however, apply to any merit-based and entrance-based courses through different online applications.

Does University follow any policy with regard to ‘anti-ragging’?

Yes, HNBGU believes in providing a safe and secure environment to its new entrants. As per the UGC guidelines, 2009 regarding curbing the menace of ragging, the University strictly follows all norms relating to curbing of ragging in its campuses.